The scholarly output of an academic scientist continues to change in an on-line world. Slowly the review and reward system is coming to appreciate this change. Will the contract between scientist and publisher change to be more than one of handling final manuscripts to one of maintaining the workflow of scholarly discourse – ideas, hypotheses, protocols, data, interpretations of these data, and conclusions, all in a variety of formats and modes of dissemination. Small steps are best and are already under way. Bourne will discuss some of these steps and what might come next from the perspective of a scientist excited by the prospects.
You may also like:
- Addressing the Discontinuity between doing research and disseminating research
- Digital research, analog publishing: one scientist’s view
- Keynote Address – Beyond the Journal Article
- Digital Evolution – A List Survival Guide: One traditional publishers journey from print to digital and beyond
- Keynote: Challenges and opportunities regarding the effective dissemination of data