Scientific research is about testing theories and/or producing high quality data to be shared and used by others for the advancement of science. Fundamental research does not always have an immediate commercial return. In this context publishing under a CC-BY licence would not appear to affect how scientists work but are there wider implications to consider? I will discuss some of the initial feedback I have received and the practical questions arising so far.
You may also like:
- Research and information habits in the socials sciences and humanities: findings from the Ithaka S+R Faculty Survey
- Challenges for Journals in the Social Sciences & Humanities
- Visual Language and Technique in the Creative Holographic Domain
- Opening up bibliographic data
- Keynote 1: Open access and creative licensing